Thursday, February 7, 2008

one week closer to living... abroad that is.

I've just finished the first part of my packing. I'm finally getting very excited. "I'll soon be living in a brand new state, a brand new state. OOOOOklahoma." I'm now to the point where I've gotten over my pre-trip jitters and am ready to get a move on. I went through a state of mind where every day I would wake up a bit nervous and realize that it won't be long until I'm leave on what might be the most lifechanging moment in my life. There were times of great panic and for a while I dwelt on the fact that I am not ready and am scared as all get out about this trip. But now I've realized that it's not my battle to fight. God will take care of my needs and strengthen me for this trip. I have come to this psalm many times before and it has always refreshed my spirit and quieted my soul. The psalm I am talking about is psalm 121. It talks about God's faithfulness to his people and how his unfailing love and protection surrounds us as we seek to do his will.

Psalm 121

The LORD the Keeper of Israel.
A Song of Ascents.
    1I will (A)lift up my eyes to (B)the mountains;
         From where shall my help come? 
    2My (C)help comes from the LORD,
         Who (D)made heaven and earth. 
    3He will not (E)allow your foot to slip;
         He who (F)keeps you will not slumber. 
    4Behold, He who keeps Israel
         Will neither slumber nor sleep. 
    5The LORD is your (G)keeper;
         The LORD is your (H)shade on your right hand. 
    6The (I)sun will not smite you by day,
         Nor the moon by night. 
    7The LORD will [a](J)protect you from all evil;
         He will keep your soul. 
    8The LORD will [b](K)guard your going out and your coming in
         (L)From this time forth and forever.


As we look to the mountains, we realize what a journey we have been on and where it will eventually take us. The mountains mentioned in this psalm are the ones surrounding Jerusalem and the Jewish people would sing this song as they were coming to Jerusalem to worship and offer sacrifices at God's temple. The mountains were a sign that the people were close to Jerusalem, only about a day's journey away, but that was not the safest journey. The foothills around the mountains were treacherous and were know to house bandits and theives hoping to prey on the pilgrims and they neared Jerusalem. To look to the mountains was to trust God and know that He was watching over you and that your help came from him. To know that he will not let you foot slip on the slope going up the mountain and that he will not slumber nor sleep. God surely is watching over us still today. I find peace knowing that as I approach the mountains in my life I can look ahead of me to the challenges that I will soon face and know that God is there supporting me and watching over me. Knowing this gives me strength to carry on and allows me to be free from worrying and recklessly abandon trusting myself and allows me to set my mind on the things of God. 

Keep it real, I'm gonna get a tan,
Shalom
Beret

No comments: