Thursday, March 6, 2008

sure... i guess

lately I've been thinking about what my future holds. Not just my immediate future, but further on. I've been thinking about a lot of things. I've been very pensive. or, to say it another way, i've been caught up in thought. I've been remembering the joy of the kingdom. I've been devoting myself to remembering Christ in all times. I have been looking at the world around me and thinking about what Jesus said when he came into the world. Last sunday I went to a fellowship meeting for people from Kapchorwa who live in Kampala. It was interesting. They were talking about all sorts of things that were real issues for them. I digress, back to what jesus said in the beginning of his ministry.luke 4.18-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. Well, i read a book once that told me that this was the key to Jesus ministry on earth. That this laid a pattern for the sermon on the mount, and for his ministry. I think that the more i think about it, Isaiah has proclaimed what Jesus would be doing. Jesus came and was anointed with the spirit. He proclaimed such great news to the poor. News that they can inherit the kingdom. News that they shall see God. Blessed are they! Freedom for the prisoners, release for the captives. Jesus came and freed me from a life of sin and has given me a life of worship. a life where i can enjoy the things he has given and remember him on all occasions. This idea of remembering Christ at all times has, of recent, become very important to me. I've been working on a sermon of luke 22. It is the last supper. I've seen some amazing parallels between the passover and israel's deliverance and communion and our deliverance. God instituded the passover before he delivered them, and by the blood of the lamb he saved them from death... Sound familiar? Jesus is at the end of his ministry and he says that when we take communion, we should remember him. It was the same for Israel, when they ate the passover, they were called to remember God. But, how many times did God say they didn't remember how he brought them out of Egypt? God was calling Israel to remember how he had delivered them, but not just once a year during passover, but all the time. If they had only done that, they would have saved themselves a lot of grief. Hmmm, how does this apply to me. Maybe Christ, during his last supper, the new passover, is calling us to remember him during communion, but also calling us to live lives that are in remembrance of him. I believe that if we lived our lives in constant remembrance of Christ, his ministry on Earth, including his restoration of sight to the blind, freedom for the captives and strength for the weak, if we remembered his Death, and his resurrection, how he was our passover lamb and we are saved by his blood, if we remembered all of those things, if we lived like it was a present reality, and truly thought on those things and truly remembered them. If we did that, it would make a different in our lives and how we live. Sinning would be hard if we were living in remembrance of Christ. If we were living a life of remembrance, we would be more inclined to model our behavior after him. 

So, this has been a reality check for me.
I hope that maybe you've felt something in all of this too!

loads of love.
luke

2 comments:

Tim said...

Hey Luke,
Sounds like you are really getting a chance to minister. I'm sorry for not posting anything earlier, Joel, Fabi, Esther Boaz, B-Woz and me have been praying for you every chance we get. We miss you, things haven't been the same. I'm glad you are getting a chance to reach people who are truly in need. I really hope that God can use you well. I'll be glad to see you when you've finished you ministry.

God Bless,
Tim

P.S. Everyone says "Hi"

Estherly said...

Hey! Miss ya! and yes! Jesus loves u more!! I cannot wait till see u!! u better come back soon!!! :)
God Bless,
Chong