Wednesday, April 9, 2008

red bull and a smile

Red bull and a smile

So, let me tell you of the past few weeks.

two weeks ago yesterday, i fell ill. It was pretty bad
I was travelling back from bukwo, a district bordering
kenya. It is a small place with no power and no doctors.
so i travelled to kapchorwa town, 6 hours away, in a 
large truck, cramped into the cab with a man a woman and
two little children. There were many more people yet in the
vehicle, but travelling in the back, with the cargo.
That is what we in africa like to call public transport!
So, travelling upon terrible roads whilst battling diarreha
and vomiting! it was not fun. But once i arrived in kapchorwa town,
i went to the doctor, after a brief stint in the bathroom(TMI!).
They tested for the big two, malaria and typhoid ( in kampala, the
doctor {an englishman} told me that in the bush, to be sick means 
to have malaria, the two words are the same!) and my tests came
back negative for the both of them. Hooray... or so I thought, but
the lingering question in my mind, on the first day of my illness,
is why am i sick if I don't have those. Perhaps allergies,
or food, or a virus. So, i decided to weather the illness,
and take the pills the doctor gave me (which were still
malaria pills, to fight malaria!, they are tenacious with
the malaria!) After a few days, i was still feeling ill and 
the medicine was spent.So, a few more days, still ill.
and a few more... so on and so forth. a week hence, and i was
still very ill. So, we gather our heads together and talk
about a solution, and we come up with one. so, the past monday,
I climbed into a private trasport(thankfully) and headed west towards
kampala. The country capitol, to see a "special muzungu doctor" 
AKA a white doctor! So, i arrive on monday, head to the clinic,
a very posh place right next to one of the few golf courses in
the country! the "rich" side of town. And what is going through 
my head is how much this is going to cost, maybe a pound of flesh! 
perhaps an arm and a leg, but they would surly apply leeches to
my pocketbook to let some of its livelyhood! So, monday, at the clinic
the doctor is busy, booked solid, for the whole day until tuesday at
noon. we set the appt. and head back to where i'm staying. fall asleep 
ill, and wake up ill, hoping for sweet relief! go to the doctor
and wait until half past noon, coincidently, i was early for my 
appt. and it was the first time i've been early since being here
in Uganda! hooray.I see the doctor for less than ten minutes and
he chides me for coming into the country with out the 
simple pills that would cure such an illness in less than
a day! he asks for a stool sample and they take it to the
lab. I feel bad for the lab technician, he's got to have 
a crappy job!(pun intended). So, i wait an hour and a half for
the results that were to come in "ten minutes", again typical 
Ugandan way of dealing with time. ten minutes can mean an hour
or even more. and guess what! it was salmonella! that dirty
little amoeba! and the doctor gave me some pills and sent me on
to the cashier. the worst part, or so i thought. You see, when i
came to the clinic, they had me deposit 60000 shillings, or a little
less than forty dollars american. So, i'm looking to pay a large
bill, for a simple treatment. And you know, God is amazing,
the lady starts handing me money back. It only cost 43000 shillings.
I was shocked. This was a private clinic, the doctor's 
consultation along was supose to cost 65000! plus lab fees
and the price for the medecine. But, they only charged me 43000.
let me put that into a perspective that you might understand.

Imagine going to a private doctor, who has had many years 
of medical training, special training and all that rot.
and to add to that, he is the owner of the private hospital.
He looks at you personally, and gives you consultation, 
he had the lab fees done, and then he gives you the perscription
himself, and also a surplus for the next time you get sick.

all of that treatment.

for twenty five dollars! 

$25

That is unheard of. Unfathomable.

Praise God.

So, today, the day after, i'm feeling good for the first time
 in two weeks plus! and i went to town to look at replacing 
my camera (mine was stolen :( ] and also to check out a bookshop.
I get to town, yet i don't find a camera (very crappy ones, very expensive)
But, i founds some great books, two of my favs. 
(1984, george orwell/ grapes of wrath, John steinbeck)
and i stopped by a shopping center to grab some deoderant,
and a toothbrush ( mine is getting worn to the nub.) these
are the important things to have with you in the bush.
and lotion. skin dries up like the plague and you walk around
feeling like a leper unless you use lotion all the time. and
then moses, the man driving me, and i wanted to grab something to drink
whilst we were shopping. (i've switched from while to whilst, incase it 
bothers you, i'm not sorry, it's a better word) so, WHILST we were 
shopping, we espied the drink cooler and what to our surprise, but 
I found a Red Bull in there. It was even less expensive than
in america! so, i'm thinking... SCORE. So, i grabbed two, one
for myself and one for moses, because the best things 
in life are those shared with friends. i paid
for the merch. and we grabbed some straws (you can't 
drink anything w/out a straw, it's the law in Uganda) and
i had at my red bull like a raving lion at an antelope.
as soon as the first drops of the cool elixer touched
my tongue, i knew that everything would be alright. I felt
my strength returning, like when popeye takes a hit of 
spinich, and my contenance grew to be that of what it should.
(good words huh?) 

See, you never know what things you'll miss once your away
from home for a long time. I don't truly miss red bull,
but, like everything here is a visual reminder of the
fact that i'm not home, not in america, Red bull stands
as a light in the darkness of culture shock(which is no fun)
and reminds me that everything will be alright. It reminds
me that there is probably a billion cans of the stuff
strewn about on some college student's floor as he/she
studies for finals. ( brian wozny!!!) and i remember friends,
and smile to myself because of the love of friends.

So, to end on a sappy note. I am here in africa, Life
is good because God is amazing. I miss home like nobody
knows. Not for all the red bull, or skittles (though i sorely miss them)
But for the friends and especially family. I love you all
and miss you all very much and hope to see everyone 
when i get back. I'll give you all a great big hug and
a kiss if you're not careful. in the meantime, i'll be
heading back into the bush with a machete so that i can
hack my way into deep villages and bring the Gospel to
them. If you are any good with tramping through the
bush, climbing mountains, and enjoying the sunshine
and rain whilst on a mountain in Uganda, Please come
join me, there is plenty of room and the offer always stands.

No Joke!

Plus, if you are  not that daring,
Send me a letter or postcard, it's only a dollar

Luke Ryggs
p.o. box 46
kapchorwa, Uganda
East Africa

or text me/call me at 011 256 752 488 089.

Love from A-country!
luke

2 comments:

Wild Alaska said...

Hey Sweetie!

Praise God that you feel better, whatever it took. We will be sending you some skittles to go with the Red Bull. You can share them with the Africans. It is good to hear that you are suiting up to go back into the fray.

Love you, Mom

Adrianna Louise said...

After a while you will forget about the food you miss, and you will come to a stark realization that when you return home- you will sorely miss foods that have strange names like "banh xeo" or "com ga" or "rau mung". Of course for you the foods will have different names.

Hey- arent foreign doctors great! My friend stayed in the hospital here for 5 days, had surgery and ended up paying less than $300!