Wednesday, April 16, 2008

time is in the weather

What???

that don't make no sense. time is in the weather?

let me explain...

Time, here in africa, is something different. It's more of an option. All things, even church, start when people are ready. people don't try to be there at a certain time. If you are getting ready to go to church, lets say it's ten minutes till church starts, and you have not eaten, you will fix breakfast and eat and enjoy tea, before you go to church, because odds are everyone else is doing the same thing. So, even if you are the preacher, you can be late by 30 minutes or even an hour. People will wait, people will sing, people will dance, and everyone else will be just as late as you!.

So, that's time. Event to an event. not minute to minute. 

Now, weather, hmmm. The roads here are terrible. If there is rain, it will wash out roads, and make driving impossible even for 4wd vehicles. So, if you are leaving, lets say, on tuesday, to go into the mountains to preach for the week, and the rain comes, you will not be able to leave on tuesday. The day will be "wasted". But, people don't really seem to be concerned if a day is wasted. So, wednesday, you are trying to leave, and the roads are still impossible. Another day wasted, but not wasted. Time here is given freely, there is no hiccup about waiting and wasting time. an entire week can go by and you wil still be in the same place, waiting to leave. But life goes on. People still seem to keep up and keep having fun.

So, if you are ever in africa, make sure you take a book along with you. a good one that you can read for hours. Waiting is something you get use to. i've found to think. think and think. I've been thinking so much. I've discovered so much about myself just from hours and hours of contemplation. I have learned that my thoughts skip along and it is hard for me to pay attention. I've also learned that I like to rush between things. So, i find ways of challenging myself in patience. I also find my unconcious patterns, and i try to reverse them. Lets say that i cross my arms in one certain way, i try to reverse it. Little challenges, like brushing my teeth with the hand that i normally don't brush with. Getting use to these things, and then once they have become a new pattern, i change it back. All because of the fact that i'm waiting. Reading a book and then memorizing different passages in the book. It's amazing what you can do with your brain to keep your time occupied!

So, that's just a little about me. and about my time here. But, i'm doing plenty. I've been preaching my voice out!

love you all.
luke

1 comment:

Wild Alaska said...

So, if this is how it is, all Ryggs' must have some African in them. None of them measure time like I do!

Love,

Your mom